The benefits of business coaching are well known. Small business owners, for example, report an increase in productivity, profitability, and performance (to name a few) when they consistently work with a business coach.
But not all small business owners are ready for business coaching. While their business may be in dire need of assistance, advice from Confucius himself will go unheeded if they aren’t personally ready and willing to invest the time, resources, and energy in their own success.
We call this readiness the “coachability” factor—the degree to which a business owner has self-awareness, accountability, dedication, motivation, and a willingness to change and learn.
Are You Coachable?
Small business owners who are truly ready to engage a business coach share common coachability traits. Coachable business owners are:
- Open to change: Change is at the foundation of business coaching. Whether it’s personal change or organizational change (usually both), you have to be open to the new possibilities change can bring.
- Willing to learn: When you are receptive to business coaching you learn how to think in new ways, learn new behaviors, learn new skills, and (perhaps most importantly) learn what makes you tick. A good business coach will be able to help clarify what you’re passionate about, and then develop the skills and behaviors that enhance those qualities.
- Humble: You must accept the fact that you don’t know everything. In fact, it’s impossible to be great at every aspect of running a business. If you were the best entrepreneur, manager, accountant, writer, product developer, and salesperson (we could go on), you would be superhuman. Business coaching helps you get better at what you do best and surround yourself with people who can help you succeed.
- Honest: You need to be comfortable telling your business coach everything (well, within reason) about your business. You need to be honest with both yourself and your business coach to truly get at the heart of each of your challenges so you can achieve your goals. In time you may very well find that working with a business coach is a lot like working with a fitness trainer. When you work hard and put in the time and effort, you quickly start to see results (without all of the sweat).
- Self-aware: Part of being able to change is understanding the need for change in the first place. The desire to create awareness regarding your strengths, weaknesses, emotions, and behaviors and how these traits impact your company’s results is a huge factor in being open to business coaching.
- Accountable: You are ultimately responsible for your company’s success and failure. Your business coach will give you advice and direction, but if you don’t make yourself accountable you won’t be able to progress nearly as quickly. Set small, attainable goals with your coach and make a commitment to achieve them by your next strategy meeting.
- Dedicated: It may go without saying, but we’re going to say it anyway. Business coaching is not a one-time miracle fix. In fact, it’s not a one-month miracle fix. Dedication is critically important. When you’re dedicated to the business coaching process you set aside the time, resources, and energy you need to achieve success.
- Motivated: Coachable business owners are motivated to try new things and challenge themselves, be proactive and collaborate with their business coach, and work hard in all areas of their business. Motivation and persistence are the driving forces behind all successful small business owners and are essential to the business coaching process.
Are You Ready For Business Coaching?
If you score well on these coachability factors you are probably ready to start working with a business coach. The first step is finding a coach that is a perfect fit for you and your business. As you begin speaking with prospective business coaches, ask about their track record with businesses similar to yours and remember that business coaching is ultimately as effective as your willingness and ability to be coached.
Synnovatia is a business performance firm that specializes in working with small business owners to help them achieve their goals and grow their businesses. Contact us to setup your consultation to see if we’re the right fit for your business by calling 800.398.6428.